Children who have concerns

If you are a child who is suffering from harm, neglect or abuse or are worried that another child may be suffering you can:

  • Talk to someone outside your family that you trust like a teacher, school nurse, police officer or other person in authority.
  • Contact the MASH Team on 0151 443 2600 and speak to someone from Social Care. A Social Worker works for the government and their job is to help you if you need to be protected from harm.
  • Contact Merseyside Police on 101 (24 hour non-emergency number). In an emergency always dial 999. It is the Police’s job to protect you from harm and stop crimes being committed against you or other children.
  • Contact Childline. Child Line is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a Child Line counsellor about anything -no problem is too big or too small. Call free on 0800 1111, have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email.

What is abuse?

Being mistreated or abused (sometimes called ‘Significant Harm’) is defined as Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Neglect or Emotional Abuse.

Physical Abuse 

When an adult deliberately hurts a child, such as hitting, shaking, throwing, poisoning, burning, drowning or suffocating.

Emotional Abuse 

This would happen, for instance, when a child is being unfairly blamed for everything all the time, or told they are stupid and made to feel unhappy.


Where a child is not being looked after properly, for example, not getting enough to eat or being left alone in dangerous situations.

Sexual Abuse

An example of sexual abuse would be where a child has been forced to take part in sexual activities or in the taking of rude photos.


E.g. calling names, damaging property, stealing, spreading rumours, cyber-bullying, hurting, getting people into trouble (see the Bullying page).

Domestic Violence 

When one adult in a family or relationship threatens, bullies or hurts another member of the family e.g. physically, psychologically, emotionally, sexually or financially.

Have you heard of Private Fostering?

Private Fostering is a care arrangement for children under 16 (or under 18

if you have a disability) where your parents have arranged for you to live

with another adult instead of your mum and dad. The person who looks

after you will not be a close relative i.e. not your grandparent, aunt, uncle,

step parent, brother or sister. Please see the following leaflet for more information:


Each year we publish an annual report which lets our partner agencies know what we have achieved in the past year. We have put together a short version for you to take a look at if you wish.


A guide for a child who has made an allegation of abuse against a member of staff or a volunteer working in the children’s workforce